High-quality teaching (at undergraduate and graduate levels), and conducting independent research. Upon progress in the academic career, expected additional duties include knowledge transfer, outreach, and university administrative tasks. The new position should conduct teaching (3 courses per year), research, and technological innovation activities in any area related to automation, artificial intelligence, and/or data science. The activities in these areas must be in the realm of Civil Engineering, and applied to various challenges faced in the context of the lifecycle of civil engineering projects and industry. Some of these challenges may relate to the following topics:
- Construction Engineering and Management: the topics of interest in this field include, but are not limited to, machine learning (ML) applied to computer vision (e.g., automatically interpreting video data coming from jobsite web cameras, in order to recognize the type of work being done, assess productivity, identify safety risks, and inform work progress, among other tasks), data analysis (e.g., to improve risk analysis, predictive analytics, equipment and material management, construction planning, cost estimates, and process optimization), applications of AI and ML to Construction Engineering processes (e.g., automation of construction equipment, reduction of the need for construction labor and their exposure to dangerous and tedious work, and reduction of work variability), among others.
- Hydraulics and Environmental Engineering: the topics of interest in this field include, but are not limited to, distributed and remote sensing technologies for continuous surveying and understanding the ecosystems of the earth and socio-environmental processes that are key for framing, designing, and executing civil engineering projects. Within this area, the successful candidate should be able to apply data science to improve natural hazard assessment, risk evaluations, or environmental analysis in engineering projects.
- Structural and Geotechnical Engineering: the topics of interest in this field include, but are not limited to, the combined use of Non-Destructive Techniques (NDT) — such as Terrestrial Laser Scanner (TLS) and photogrammetry — interferometry of synthetic aperture radar imaging, artificial intelligence (AI) for digital twin development, automatic damage detection and distributed sensing, material characterization, data driven risk and resilience analysis of complex systems, data analytics of structural and geotechnical hazards, empirical evaluation of complex system fragilities and system functionalities, health monitoring and control of structures such as bridges, buildings, ports, dams, tailings dams, slopes, tunnels, etc.
The selected candidate is expected to develop a strong externally funded research program, participate of existing master and doctoral programs, and teach in average three courses per year. Two of these courses have to belong to the data science program taught by the computer science department, and the third course should be related to theory or applications in Civil Engineering according to the candidate’s expertise.
Applicants must hold a Ph.D., preferably in topics of Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Information Systems, Data Science, and/or have demonstrable expertise in these fields with applications to the Civil Engineering topics mentioned above. Due to the nature of this Faculty Position, the applicant will have the opportunity and should be willing to work collaboratively with other Departments in the Civil Engineering disciplines. Previous postdoctoral or international academic experience should be stated in the application.
Candidates do not need to be fluent in Spanish at the time of application, but should be prepared to learn the language well enough to teach in this language in a maximum of two years. English is a requirement.
Applicants must demonstrate a strong commitment to all aspects of academic life and the public good of the institution. They must be highly motivated to continuously improve their teaching skills, have a genuine interest in getting involved with our M.Sc. and Ph.D. programs, and be able to develop and maintain an active research agenda leading to high-quality publications, securing research grants, generating and participating in interdisciplinary projects, leading scientific and industry-liaison initiatives, strengthening and creating national and international academic networks, etc. The candidate will also be expected to create new undergraduate and graduate courses and teach traditional courses in related areas.
If selected for the position, foreigners that apply from abroad must obtain the appropriate visa in their country of residence, to join the University faculty.
Applicants should submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org (in the email subject line, please indicate: Faculty Position in Automation, Artificial Intelligence, and Data Science in Civil Engineering; see note A) by November 30th, 2023 (late applications will be considered until the position is filled).
- A research statement (in English) indicating the immediate and long-term goals of the applicant’s research plan and detailing potential collaboration networks with other researchers and plans for interactions with scientists in Chile and other countries.
- A teaching statement of purpose (in English) indicating why the applicant should be considered for the position and the plans for teaching. The applicant should be as specific as possible by providing examples of the plan to transfer knowledge to undergraduate and graduate students.
- An updated curriculum vitae (in English, see note B).
- If available, copies of five recent Web of Science publications that are relevant to the context of the application (see note C)Note A:
The applicant will get an automatic response from this email address confirming that the documents have been received.Note B:
The CV must be organized as follows:
- Personal information: name, address, contact telephone number (with country and city codes), email address, web page (if any).
- Education: all academic and professional degrees, indicating the granting institutions and dates. If the applicant is currently enrolled in a doctoral program, please indicate the expected date for the degree.
- Educational experience (university or institution, courses taught and years).
- Professional experience (employer, duties, years).
a. List of Web of Science journal publications (see note C).
b. List of other publications such as reports, books or book chapters, conferences attended, research projects participated in, patents, etc.
- Other: awards, computer skills, languages, and any other relevant background information.Note C:
Please avoid padding the list with other publications, such as those published in journals not indexed in the Web of Science database, conference presentations and alike.
Once the complete set of application materials has been received, the applicant will be contacted within two months and informed whether the application has been accepted for further consideration. If this initial screening is successful, the candidate will be asked to continue the process following the steps described in Appendix 1.
EEO/AAP Policy Statement
The Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile is committed to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, or marital status in its activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs.
Other Chilean and University employment benefits may be found in:
- Foreign workers in Chile: https://www.dt.gob.cl/portal/1626/w3-article-93693.html
- Labor laws in Chile: https://www.thisischile.cl/labor-laws-in-chile/?lang=en
- University rules and regulations: http://direcciondedesarrolloacademico.uc.cl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=286&Itemid=178
Appendix 1. Application steps
- Interview with faculty members of the School of Engineering
- Interview with the Search Committee
- Psychological Interview
- Seminar (open to faculty members of the School of Engineering)
These interviews and presentation are generally carried out within a week.
- Selection of the final candidate by the Department and the Search Committee
- Approval the candidate by the School Council
- The successful candidate is informed (offer letter)
The time that elapses from the interviews until the final resolution is around two months.